Resources Student FAQs CARES Act FAQs

We are experiencing higher than normal call volumes. During these peak times, you may be offered a callback so you can speak with a coordinator directly.
Email response times may take 5-7 business days. If you have a question or concern regarding tuition costs,
please contact Student Accounts Receivable at or 512-475-7777.

Personal Information

Update Your Address By:

  • Making an online Address Change.
  • Sending a letter—indicating that the change is to your local address, your permanent address or both—that includes your name, signature and EID or date of birth, to:
    University of Texas at Austin
    Office of the Registrar: Records
    P.O. Box 7216
    Austin TX 78713-7216
  • Faxing the letter described above to 512-475-7515.
  • Visiting Texas One Stop on the ground floor of the Main Building in person. You need to show your photo ID.

Make a Name Change

All name change requests must be submitted with supporting documentation. Changes to the first, middle and/or last name, suffix or sequence of names will require the original or a certified copy of one of the following:

  • Government-issued ID (driver’s license, state ID card, valid passport)
  • Birth certificate (U.S. only)
  • Marriage Certificate (U.S. only)
  • Court order (must show change to new name)
  • Divorce decree (must show change to new name)
  • Certificate of Naturalization/Green Card
  • Documentation of common law marriage/civil union

We do not require documentation to add/delete a hyphen, space, and apostrophe or to abbreviate a middle name to initial. Please email Student Academic Records at for steps on scanning or mailing your documents. All requests must include a request letter with ink signatures.

Update Your Social Security Number

Visit the Texas One Stop in person at the Main Building (MAI) to update your social security number. Bring your actual Social Security card, signed for verification. If you are not able to come in person, please email Registration for assistance at

Update Your Emergency Information

Update Emergency Information

Log in with your UT EID

FERPA and Privacy

FERPA, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, is a federal law that pertains to the release of and access to educational records. The law, also known as the Buckley Amendment, applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education.

FERPA applies to personally identifiable information in educational records. This includes items such as the student’s name, names of family members, addresses, personal identifiers such as Social Security numbers and personal characteristics or other information that make the student’s identity easily traceable.

FERPA Information

Learn more about FERPA and educational records.

Restrict Your Information (for current students only)

Our Restrict My Info system lets you decide where your directory information appears so it isn’t seen by the public.

The university keeps data about you that can be shown to the public, by federal law, without your permission. We call this directory information. (The public includes your parents, friends, employers, insurers and people checking on your degrees.)

Other data the university has about you is not made public and is only seen by authorized staff members. This student record information is detailed in the General Information Catalog.

Restrict My Info

Contact Us

Main Building (MAI), Room 16

Back To Top

Still Need Help?

We’re here for you.


Beginning Monday, August 17:
Monday–Friday, 9 a.m.–4 p.m.
Visit Texas One Stop ›

MAI 1 (Ground Floor of UT Tower)
110 Inner Campus Dr.
Austin, TX 78712

– To submit paper documents (such as appeals or applications), please scan a PDF of your document and email directly to Texas One Stop at


(512) 232-6988 (myUT)

Abbreviated hours of operation for phone calls will be 8:​30 a.​m.​- 4:00 p.​m.​ until further notice. Call volumes may be higher during peak times, and an offer of a call back the next day will be provided.

Call Us

5-7 business day response time


feedback survey