Tuition Payment Timelines and Financial Responsibility Statement (FRS)
The university is implementing improvements to tuition billing and payments in order to make it easier for students to pay their tuition and receive financial aid and scholarships.
- New tuition due date for fall 2021 – Tuesday, August 17 – The first tuition due date will be the same day that students start receiving financial aid, Tuesday, August 17, regardless of when they registered. This allows students to have access to financial aid to pay their tuition bill. Tuition due date for Graduate students remains the same – 4th class day on August 30, 2021.
- If a student wants to make multiple payments, there will be three (3) tuition payment due dates – August 17 (week before classes start), September 10 (12th class day), and October 15. This is reduced from 5 tuition payments now making it easier for students. Students are automatically put on Installment Plan if they don’t pay tuition in full by 12th class day.
- Undergraduate tuition due dates and housing due dates are now aligned – Undergraduate housing due dates will be 12th class day (September 10), October 15 and one additional date of November 15. Graduate housing due dates are not changing. This reduces the number of payment due dates from 9 today.
- Scholarships will now be able to pay current bills due (including those awarded through SS1s). SS1s will defer payment for students for current tuition bills and SS1s still have the option for “holds” and later payment dates. This makes it easier for students so they receive remainder of their scholarship funds after bills are paid.
- Minimum tuition payment on the first due date will now be a flat rate of $1500 for Texas Residents and $5000 for non-Texas residents – for undergraduates and graduate students. This is approximately 20% of total tuition due (reduced from current 50%) and is only one rate for all colleges and schools. Any size payment can be made and accepted after minimum payment of $1500 or $5000 is made. This change reduces the confusion of having different amounts due when making the initial payment.
- Students will sign a Financial Responsibility Statement (FRS) online each semester. The FRS is the agreement students sign to acknowledge their understanding that they must pay tuition and fees if they are going to enroll at UT Austin. Students must sign the FRS or they will have a registration bar. The FRS for fall 2021 is now available for students to sign. They must sign before they register for classes starting April 19.
- “My Tuition Bill” and other tuition webpages have been redesigned to increase understanding and transparency for students to complete their billing transactions. There is also a new a mobile friendly version for students to access on their phones.
Details of Changes
Tuition Due Dates
- First tuition due date for undergraduate students is same day that financial aid and scholarships are released, 8 days before the first day of classes in the fall semester. For 2021, first tuition due date for fall semester is Tuesday, August 17.
- On night of Thursday August 19, any undergraduate student who has not confirmed enrollment will be canceled from classes. This is prior to the final registration period starting Friday, August 20, and the first day of classes on Wednesday, August 25.
- Undergraduate tuition due dates are reduced to only 3 payment dates – August 17 (confirm attendance and make minimum payment), September 15 (12th class day – pay balance due or automatically entered into the Installment Plan), and October 15 (final due date or student will have a late fee and bar on registering).
- Tuition due date for Graduate students remains the same – 4th class day on August 30, 2021.
Financial Responsibility Statement
- Educates students about their financial obligations to pay tuition and fees when attending the university.
- Available for students to sign starting 2 weeks before registration opens each semester when the course schedule is published.
- Accepting the FRS is an easy “click to accept” for students to sign online on a computer or mobile device.
- Students will have a registration bar until they sign the FRS online. The bar will be removed in real-time when it is signed online.
- FRS includes the Installment Plan Promissory Note so it reduces paperwork for students.
- Students will be automatically enrolled in the Installment Plan if they have not paid in full by 12th class day. Students will not be dropped from classes for “add bills” created during add/drop period.
New Look to “My Tuition Bill”
“My Tuition Bill” and other tuition payment webpages have a new look to make it easier for students to complete billing transactions with UT. Including a mobile friendly look!
- Tuition Bill will display total owed, financial aid and scholarships available to pay bills, and balance due.
- Tuition Bill will display record of payment(s) made toward bill.
- April 5 – Financial Responsibility Statement (FRS) is available for students to sign
- April 19 – First day of registration for Fall 2021 semester. FRS must be signed or students will have a registration bar.
- August 17 – Tuition Due Date – students must confirm attendance and pay or defer tuition bill or their classes will be cancelled.
- Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid begin disbursements
- August 20 – Final registration period opens
- August 25 – First day of classes
- September 10 – 12th class day, 2nd Tuition Due Date, and 1st undergraduate housing bill due date – students must pay tuition amount due or will be automatically put in installment plan
- October 15 – Final tuition payment due date and 2nd undergraduate housing bill due date
- November 15 – Final (3rd) undergraduate housing payment due date
Option III programs have a different tuition structure than regular degree programs at the University. Students in Option III programs should check with the program administrator for tuition rate information. Option III programs are designated on the Program & Contacts page with “- Option III”.